Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I’m protecting Kerry’s left flank, says Kucinich
By James Kirchick

As he continues his quixotic campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination, Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) is positioning himself as the man who can protect Sen. John Kerry’s (D-Mass.) left flank from Ralph Nader.

“It’s important that Democrats know that there are people, leading spokespersons in the party, for peace, for civil liberties, for healthcare, fair trade … so that they can’t say, ‘The Democrats don’t represent me,’” Kucinich said in a wide-ranging interview with The Hill last week.

patrick g. ryan
Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio)

“Well, I’m a Democrat and I speak to those issues and I think what I’m giving the party is an ability to bring people in who might otherwise be inclined to not support Democrats.”

Kucinich added, “Isn’t it much better to have [liberal ideas] expressed through the person of another Democrat than to have it expressed through the person of a third-party candidate? I mean, this is where it makes a difference, and this is where it could make all the difference in the general election.”

(Full Story)

No comments: