Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Earth: The Sequel - Why I Wrote This Book

Earth: The Sequel. The Race to Reinvent Energy and Stop Global Warming

Dear Daniel,

As a valued member of the Environmental Defense Fund family, I want you to be one of the first to know about a book I co-authored with my colleague, Miriam Horn, published by WW Norton and to be released March 10th.

Earth: The Sequel - The Race to Reinvent Energy and Stop Global Warming tells the story of my search to find the best solutions to global warming.

We've heard a lot about the threats of climate change -- strengthening hurricanes, rising sea level, droughts, and more.

And we've heard from the naysayers who say it will cost too much to fix.

I wrote this book in order to change the conversation and to focus on innovation and solutions.

Earth: The Sequel reveals an exciting race that has is just beginning -- a race to develop low-carbon energy in time to turn our planet's greatest environmental crisis into our greatest economic opportunity.

On my journey, I met inventors and entrepreneurs remaking the way we meet our energy needs.

They are the Thomas Edisons and Wright Brothers of the 21st Century. And, they are ready and waiting to scale their inventions and radically transform the $5 trillion energy business.

Earth: The Sequel tells the stories of these adventurous innovators and their bold new ideas.

These include such brazen inventions as flying windmills and artificial carbon-eating trees. It examines breakthroughs in solar and biomass technologies, and explores how we will reinvent everything from cars to concrete and replace the old, dumb, centralized electrical grid with a smart, multidirectional energy network. And it details how we can remake the economics of the rainforest to slow and reverse deforestation.

But while these innovations are nearly ripe, without the right national policies offering strong economic incentives, they won't come to market at a speed and scale sufficient to beat the swift pace of global warming.

Why has a policy-minded environmentalist like me written a book about energy innovators and entrepreneurs? It's because time and time again in my thirty year career as an environmental crusader, I have seen innovation and profit serve as valuable tools for solving critical environmental issues.

And, after meeting these new-energy trailblazers, I am convinced we can use these tools again to win this race to stop global warming and transform our society.

Over the next several weeks, you'll be hearing more about these stories and the steps you and I can take to help end to global warming and transform the way we live.

As an online supporter of EDF, I invite you to be among the first to pre-order the book. I hope you find meeting these inventors and their new ideas as inspiring and enlightening as I have.

This book has been a labor of love and passion for me, one that has inspired me and given me hope. I am more convinced than ever that we can embrace the race to create a new energy economy and stop global warming.

I am thrilled to begin this conversation and to enlist your support in reframing our global warming debate. Together, with the message of what's possible, we can get the policy right and win the race for a new energy economy.

For more about the book and to place an early order, please go to www.earththesequel.com.

Thank you for being a part of this great adventure.

Sincerely,
Fred Krupp
President


No comments: