Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Draft's return tough to fight

By JAMES SILVER
Special to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/28/2004





James Silver is a writer living in Atlanta.





File
In May 1979, anti-draft protesters gathered on the Capitol steps in Washington. A House subcommittee voted to resume registration of 18-year-old males.

I have a penchant for making political predictions. In 1988, I predicted that George Bush Sr. would choose a
little-known senator from Indiana as his running mate. I was right about that one.

In early 2003, I predicted to anyone who cared to listen that there was no way an army of 130,000 would be able to conquer a nation of 25 million people. I expected a long, drawn-out, urban guerrilla war in Iraq. Now, my prediction appears to be coming true.

Eventually, we will be forced to leave Iraq. The only real question is what that withdrawal will look like when it happens. Will our government continue to deceive us for another decade before leaving Iraq in disgrace? I won't try to predict the final result. But there is one prediction that I feel confident in making and it has been my biggest worry since the presidential campaign began...(Full Story)

No comments: